Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Wait

I feel compelled to write this post regarding the wait for our little girl.  When we started the process for Ethiopia the wait for a referral was 3-4 months.  We have now reached 7 months today; this is nothing compared to domestic adoption for an infant nor compared to the wait in China, but when you prepare yourself for 4 months and you go seven it gets to you.  I have been on an emotional roller coaster.  I can be totally positive and know she is coming to us soon one minute then go to bawling because I am so anxious to have her but her Ethiopia Mom will have to do something so selfless so that I can have a daughter.  I have always  been so excited to see referrals come in but now that we are so close I am so jealous that it is not us.  Some days I feel that it may never happen!  Jon and I have now stopped calling each other during the day; instead we email because it is almost painful to hear the phone ring when it is not the news we wanted.  I thought this process would be easier than pregnancy but right now I feel as though I am in my tenth month and it stinks!  I know these feelings will subside as soon as I see her face and know that there will be an ending to this pain when she is in my arms,  but for today I ache.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there robin! i know the wait is unbearable...but you are getting oh.so.very close!

oh, and about domestic. both of my best friends started their domestic processes in the spring (a year after us) and both are at home with their babies. both only took about 4-5 months, start to finish. i am so very happy for them, but it was also very hard to watch them start the process and then finish before us!

still waiting...

Shawn and Amelia said...

Oh, Robin, I can't even imagine how difficult all the waiting is... I've always thought adoption would be much tougher than pregnancy emotionally b/c the timeline is so uncertain :0( Your little girl is just taking a long, long time to make it into your arms, but you know she will be worth the wait!! Hang in there, and I hope you get *the* phone call soon!